Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Had to say "no"

Well, we had our first opportunity to adopt, and we had to say "no." I don't know how this is supposed to go, I guess differently for everyone. The kids who were offered (is that PC?) to us were probably lovely kids who "had no behavioral issues." I'm sure they would make someone very happy. But, grandma & grandpa were going to stop taking care of them (after years of caretaking) because they wanted freedom to move and travel. That's just not our hearts. It feels enabling. On some level, I expect that most situations we'll encounter will have an element of feeling like we're taking over because of someone else's irresponsibility. However, I think there will be other situations where at least it's clear that it really is in the best interest of the kids to be placed with someone else. Adoption is a funny thing. You wait and wait & then you get a call, and it's all so exciting. And then you realize that it's still not quite the right fit. So, you wait some more. It's worth it, I'm sure. So, we shall see what comes next!

In the meantime, we've been taking care of a little girl who shows some of the typical behaviors you might expect to see in kids who are in limbo, taken away from their parents, uncertain of where they are/why they're there/how long they'll be there. She has a very difficult time being left alone for even 5 minutes and goes straight into this awful sounding cry of desperation. She buddies up to any person. She spends a lot of time saying "I want my mom." I don't even know the situation, but I wish she could have her mom. A little girl should be with her mom. How long will her life be in limbo?

No comments:

Post a Comment